Ever consider how life without Mother Earth’s beauty would be? No plants, oceans or lakes… The vibrant colors of spring, fall and winter would vanish. Summer months canoeing down a river and biting into the juicy red flesh of a watermelon would no longer be possible. Nights dancing to the sounds of the guitar, piano, trumpet and drums would end. Thomas Fuller in Gnomologia said it best: “We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.” (1732)
Mother Earth plays an essential role in our lives. Her trees provide us sustenance, housing, furniture, fuel, instruments, temperature control, shade and oxygen. Her waters provide us cleansing, healing, energy and networks to travel. Her flowers provide us seasoning, medicine, aesthetics, air fresheners, sustenance, dye, fabric and oils. Her crust provides us gas, minerals and oils. Everything we use, eat and drink Mother Earth has taken a major role in its production. So, there is a lot to thank Mother Earth for, most specifically her constant giving to us without asking anything in return.
There are hundreds of ways to thank her—living simply, recycling, conserving water, purchasing eco-friendly items are just a few of those ways. Another way that is simple and just as effective is to commune with her.
1. Go outside and dig your hands into the soil. Feel Mother Earth’s essence. Say: “Hello.” Ask: “How are you?” It doesn’t matter if you don’t get a response. This is just a way to acknowledge her existence and show you care.
2. If you have a garden, tell your flowers and trees thank you for providing you and your family beauty, flavor, sustenance and whatever else you are grateful for.
3. Shop weekly at a nearby farmer’s market for fresh fruits and vegetables. Make sure the fruits and vegetables are in season and grown in your state. Choosing and buying produce from a farmer’s stand is a good way to attune your mind and body to Mother Earth’s four seasons and their bounties. When you arrive home, clean and store your produce well. When you are ready to use them, make a fresh salad or cook your veggies while contemplating how great Mother Earth is for providing such beautiful and healthy food. Contemplate how you need her and her bounty for survival. Now, contemplate what she needs from you.
4. Send positive thoughts to Mother Earth when you can. Words have a power of their own. They have the ability to spread happiness, love and even, health. So, speak out loud or silently to Mother Earth with words like: I love you; I appreciate you; I see only beauty in you; I heal you; I want you to be happy; I wish you, health; I send you my love; I send you peace; I love your wind; I love the smell of your rain.
5. Create a short poem or prayer for Mother Earth that speaks of her being healed, of your love for her, of your connection to her, and of your gratitude for her. Each time you stand under the waterfall in your shower, feel wind blowing through your hair, or arrange flowers in a vase recite your poem or prayer to her. Let it become a constant routine. The more you do it, the more you will be aware of her.
6. Attend classes or workshops on green, eco-friendly and eco-conscious living.
7. Next time it rains, instead of running for the nearest cover, get wet and dance in the rain. Laugh, smile and sing. There is nothing more appreciative as showing pleasure for a gift given to you.
Life should be about giving and receiving. Communing with Mother Earth is about us giving to her. It is also about showing our respect for her, acknowledging her gifts to us and creating a stronger and more intimate relationship with her. There is nothing more beautiful than love shared.